This is an archive of the TOM News Page from before 1999. Old
news has been edited to at least make all the links on this page
point to an existing page.
- Mon Dec 7 1998
- TOM Solaris port
by Miroslav Silovic.
- Thu Oct 8 1998
- TOM 0.99.3 released.
- Tue Sep 29 1998
- TOM Highlight: Fast TOM Example 1:
- Fri Sep 25 1998
- Matt Kimball is doing some excellent work in porting TOM to Microsoft
- Tue Jul 28 1998
- Tesla version 0.1 (pre-alpha) released.
- Mon Jul 27 1998
- Andreas has put his GTK Tutorial, the TOM edition on
- Fri Jul 24 1998
- TOM Highlight: The New Selector Syntax or
how an ugly hack was accepted as `normal' for too long.
- Fri Jul 17 1998
- Tesla, the new TOM compiler under development,
- Tue Jul 14 1998
- Released TOM 0.99.2.
- Mon Jul 13 1998
- Andreas Kostyrka has written An
introduction to programming Gnome in TOM.
- Wed Jul 8 1998
- Fully updated library units documentation, now also
available in PostScript.
- Mon Jul 6 1998
- TOM gp - gp generates parsers manual (draft)
- Tue Jun 2 1998
- First snapshot of Tesla, the new TOM compiler
under development, can be found here.
- Thu May 14 1998
- Newly supported machine: the
Alpha running Red Hat 5 Linux.
- Sun May 3 1998
- TOM Highlight: Conditions: the creation,
signaling, raising, and handling of conditions; non-local gotos
employing catch and throw; unwind protection.
- Thu Apr 30 1998
- TOM/Gtk is today's news at Gnome.
The TOM/Gtk bindings
are being actively maintained and developed by Andreas Kostyrka.
- Mon Apr 20 1998
- TOM Highlight: Method preconditions and
- Tue Apr 14 1998
- TOM/Gtk 0.11 released,
matching Gtk+ version 1.0.0.
- Thu Apr 9 1998
- TOM/Gtk 0.10 released.
- Mon Apr 6 1998
- TOM 0.99.1 released, including
binaries for Debian (i386)
- Sun Apr 5 1998
- Highlight of the week: TOM/Gtk bindings: tutorial on the
TOM bindings for Gtk and Gdk and their use, with examples.
- Fri Apr 3 1998
- TOM has Gtk+ bindings. It is work in
progress; fetch the snapshot to play. This
includes lots of examples.
- Mon Mar 30 1998
- Highlight of the week: Method forwarding: the mechanism
and its speed.
- Tue Mar 24 1998
- This week's Highlight sheds some (flash-)
light on Glueing TOM and C.
- Wed Mar 18 1998
- Highlight: Multiple Inheritance.
- Tue Mar 17 1998
- Andreas Kostyrka provides RedHat packages of
the TOM packages, and more.
- Mon Mar 9 1998
- A new highlight: Using a debugger (gdb) to debug TOM
- Mon Mar 2 1998
- This week's highlight: The target/action paradigm.
- Sun Feb 22 1998
- Second highlight: Why methods do not declare the
exceptions they raise.
- Tue Feb 17 1998
- Interim version 0.99 released.
- Sun Feb 15 1998
- TOM has moved to http://gerbil.org/tom/.
- Tue Feb 10 1998
- Windowshot of TAG work in progress.
- Mon Feb 2 1998
- Debian package version 0.99-2
- Sun Jan 11 1998
- The TOM Programming Language introduction to
TOM now available in HTML for on-line viewing.
- Tue Jan 6 1998
- Debian package of the TOM
compiler, tools and libraries is available.
- TAG mailing list has been created.
- Sun Dec 21 1997
- Thu Dec 18 1997
- I have had some time again to spend on TAG, with
new classes and a new screenshots showing them in action.
- Tue Nov 4 1997
- The first publication has appeared.
- Tue Oct 14 1997
- After a week of experimenting, the new layout of the TOM pages has
been fixed to what you now see. The navigation bar at the left
hand side is present on all pages, enabling easy top-level
- Sat Aug 30 1997
- Added the Developer's Corner.
- Mon Aug 4 1997
- Added a Distributed Objects example.
- Sun Aug 3 1997
- Release of TOM version 0.91.
- Sat Aug 2 1997
- TOM has been ported to Linux
- Mon Jul 28 1997
- BIT GUI does links
- Wed Jul 23 1997
- BIT reaches proof-of-concept
- Wed Jul 9 1997
- Fixed the binary distribution URLs in the sources page.
- Thu Apr 24 1997
- Wrote an extensive description of the TOM Basic Standard Environment.
- Mon Mar 24 1997
- Binary distribution of TOM 0.03
available for Linux.
- Fri Mar 21 1997
- Tue Jan 14 1997
- Updated the projects list now that distributed objects is being worked
- Sat Dec 28 1996
- Updated to new domain name (used to be es.ele.tue.nl, and has now
- Tue Nov 26 1996
- Provide a new picture for TAG.
Updated everything, i.e. the stable snapshots, binary distributions,
and (hopefully) all pages, to the new TOM syntax, where the `;' is
a terminator just as in C. The paper docs however haven't been
- Tue Nov 19 1996
- Also provide a binary
distribution for Linux.
- Mon Nov 18 1996 [Tue Nov 19 1996]
- Provide a binary distribution
for black nextstep and various hpux machines.
- Tue Nov 12 1996
Invocation class has been fully implemented.
Invocations can be created, fired, and curried. A curried
invocation can be completed automatically as part of the method
- Fri Nov 1 1996
- Added multi-threadedness and thread-local variables to the
- Added a screenshot picture to TAG.
- Sun Oct 27 1996
- Added TAG, the TOM Abstract GUI.
- Thu Oct 17 1996
- The Unicode example is becoming is very useful program, mostly because
its functionality is needed for the String classes, but also to
satisfy those stumbling upon it searching for Unicode at Alta
- Wed Oct 2 1996
- The documentation page now contains a draft introduction to TOM.
- Sun Sep 8 1996
- With the release of version 0.02, the homepage has been slightly
No wait, the news is that version 0.02 is available!
- Sat Sep 7 1996
- Documentation generated from the TOM sources is now available. It
isn't perfect yet, but that is only a matter of time. Pointers to
the documentation are available on the documentation page.
- Fri Aug 30 1996
- The distribution
directory now supplies diffs for the snapshots. Furthermore,
three new packages which are under development are also provided.
See the packages for more information.
- Mon Jul 8 1996
- Extended the information on the runtime and the TOM tools in the TOM language reference manual.
Added the recently changed files.
- Fri Jul 5 1996
- The first release of TOM, version 0.01. See the resources.
- Thu Jul 4 1996
- Dynamic resolution and dynamic loading work and have been incorporated
into the stable release.
- Tue Jul 2 1996
- Dynamic loading works (and has been removed from the projects list).
There won't be another stable release however before it fully
works on all platforms and in all contexts.
- Mon Jun 17 1996
- Added a few pages on typing to the TOM language reference manual.
- Mon Jun 10 1996
- Updated the projects.
- Fri Jun 7 1996
- TOM has been ported to FreeBSD on an Intel box. Incidentally I also
solved the GNU CC __builtin_return problem some i386 unices are
suffering and which was especially severe for Objective-C, since
the GNU runtime uses it. Eh, were suffering that is, of
course. I can't understand why nobody else solved this; all I had
to do was learn i386 and i387 assembly :-)
- Thu Jun 6 1996
- TOM has been ported to linux on an intel box.
- Wed Jun 5 1996
- Added some more class descriptions for TOM.
Created the news file.